Ben and Jessica’s own home.
Our priorities for our own house was that it should last for centuries, be warm and comfortable, and bring us endless delight!
We also wanted it to be composed of local, natural, raw materials and to be hand-crafted (by Ben) at every level.We are also exploring the possibility of getting Passive House certification; it has certainly been designed to all the Passive House principles.
- The house is strawbale with super insulated timber frame at first floor level.
- Windows are timber frame (hand made on site) with triple glazing.
- All exterior timber is macrocarpa or stained douglas fir.
- The only timber treatment is in the cavity battens to the timber frame walls.
- All internal linings are natural timber or lime/earth plasters. Floor is fully thermally isolated earth.